Eddie Hearn admits Billy Joe Saunders could now lose out on Canelo fight, regardless of suspension for domestic violence video


Billy Joe Saunders’ super fight with Canelo Alvarez is in serious jeopardy of not happening.

Britain’s WBO super-middleweight world champion agreed terms for a May 2 bout against Mexico’s pound-for-pound king earlier this year, but the contest was never announced because the coronavirus pandemic halted all sport.

Canelo Alvarez vs Billy Joe Saunders is up in the air

Canelo Alvarez vs Billy Joe Saunders is up in the air

The GGG trilogy is a bigger fight financially for Canelo

Getty

The GGG trilogy is a bigger fight financially for Canelo

Promoters are now looking at rescheduling dates for most of boxing’s biggest postponed fights later in the year when normal service is resumed.

However, Canelo’s situation is different as it is known that he’s also agreed terms to face Gennady Golovkin in a trilogy clash this September.

The 29-year-old could now skip over Saunders and go straight to the Golovkin bout, which is significantly bigger in terms of financial earnings.

Meanwhile, BJS has had his boxing licence suspended by the BBBofC after posting a controversial domestic violence ‘joke’ video.

Eddie Hearn promotes Saunders

Melina Pizano/Matchroom Boxing USA

Eddie Hearn promotes Saunders

When asked if Canelo vs Saunders will go ahead, the Brit’s promoter Eddie Hearn told iFL TV: “That all depends if boxing’s back for the summer.

“Obviously we’ve gotta get over his viral video which has upset a lot of people, me included.

“That’s another conversation.

“Regarding Canelo, I think that it all depends when boxing’s back.

KO COVID-19

The quicker we work together to stop coronavirus spreading, the sooner we can get back into the pubs, the gyms and stadiums and arenas to see live sport again…

STAY AT HOME. Only leave for the following purposes:

  • to shop for basic essentials – only when you really need to
  • to do one form of exercise a day – such as a run, walk or cycle, alone or with other people you live with
  • for any medical need – for example, to visit a pharmacy or deliver essential supplies to a vulnerable person
  • to travel to and from work – but only where this is absolutely necessary

For more info and tips, visit the NHS website.

The government has also issued further detail on what we can do during lockdown.

Everyone should do what they can to stop coronavirus spreading.

“I think both Canelo and GGG would like to have a fight before they fight each other.

“That was their original plan, but again it depends how far back in the year boxing begins.

“I think if it’s July, I think Billy Joe will get that fight.

“I think if it starts going to September/October/November and Canelo’s only gonna box once this year, then maybe he chooses to have the biggest fight he can.”

Speaking to talkSPORT on Monday, Saunders issued an apology for posting the video and revealed he will donate £25,000 to domestic violence charities.

“I looked at it as a bit of a joke at first – I obviously wasn’t thinking right – but looking back at it now I can clearly see the destruction it has caused among the women suffering from domestic violence,” he said.

“It was a silly mistake but I didn’t intentionally mean to cause harm to anyone and I certainly wouldn’t promote domestic violence.”

“My sense of humour is not everyone’s cup of tea. I can only take it back and apologise for it; I’ve spoken to my manager and among other things I will be donating £25,000 to support domestic violence charities.

“It is clearly a silly thing to do and I can’t take it back.”



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.