STEAMBOAT SPRINGS — Thanks to a second-place finish at the regional tournament, Steamboat Springs High School No. 2 doubles pair, Gabe Gray and Xander Dalke, will compete in the state tournament Oct. 17, 18 and 19 in Pueblo.
The two freshman are the only Sailors to advance to the state tournament after Steamboat took third overall at the 4A Region 8 tournament in Grand Junction on Oct. 10 and 11.
“The team peaked at the right time,” Steamboat head coach Bill Conway said. “At the beginning of the season, we had four players for the first week of practice. (My assistant coaches) and I were worried we would not have enough for a team. We had an amazing team from that point forward. They peaked at the right time and to have two players make state is a great accomplishment for the team. Xander Dalke and Gabe Gray played their best tennis of the season at regionals.”
No. 1 singles player, senior Wyatt Stempel finished third. No. 2 singles player, senior Matheus Mercuri, and No. 3 singles player, sophomore Nash Whittington, also finished third.
The No. 1 doubles pairing of junior Dylan Dietrich and sophomore Kyle Saunders took fourth, while No. 3 doubles players, senior Johnny Barkal and freshman Eli Ince, placed third.
Senior Joey Westmeyer and freshman Michael Lake also earned third as the No. 4 doubles pair.
Steamboat Springs tennis schedule
- Aug. 22: at Grand Junction, L 5-2
- Aug. 23-24: at Fruita-Monument, 7th of 7
- Aug. 30: at Loveland, 8th of 8
- Sept. 5-7: at Grand Junction, 16th of 16
- Sept. 14: vs. Rocky Mountain, L 7-0
- Sept. 21: vs. Fruita Monument, L 7-0
- Sept. 25: at Basalt, W 6-1
- Oct. 1: at Aspen L 7-0, Vail L 7-0
- Oct. 5: vs. Kent Denver, L 7-0
- Oct. 11: Regionals at Delta, 3rd
- Oct. 17-19: State at Pueblo
To reach Shelby Reardon, call 970-871-4253, email sreardon@SteamboatPilot.com or follow her on Twitter @ByShelbyReardon.